OF EAR PIERCING
Having one's ears pierced can
trigger an allergy to metal that makes it suddenly impossible
to wear any kind of jewelry or even metal buttons, snaps and
zippers. At a recent seminar sponsored by the American Academy
of Dermatology, Alexander Fisher of New York University said
that metal allergies "often only become active after a trauma
to the skin." Such allergies are most often caused by exposure
to nickel, which is present in quality gold, silver and platinum
jewelry as well as in cheaper costume jewelry. To avoid metal
allergies, Fisher recommends that ears be pierced only with a
stainless steel needle and only earrings with stainless steel
posts be worn until the earlobes heal.
- BIOSCIENCE, October,
PIERCING TRIGGERS JEWELRY ALLERGIES
Allergic reactions to jewelry
and other metal objects such as snaps and zippers can be triggered
by improper ear piercing, according to New York University dermatologist
Alexander Fisher. The allergy begins, he says, when the earlobe
is punctured and comes into contact with a metal containing nickel,
the most common cause of jewelry allergies. Nickel is often used
as an alloy in quality gold and silver, as well as costume jewelry.
Occasionally, gold itself produces an allergic reaction. To prevent
either allergy, Dr. Fisher suggests ears should be pierced only
with a stainless-steel needle, and earrings with stainless-steel
posts should be worn while the earlobes heal. (Even though nickel
is present in some stainless steel, it is bound too tightly to
contact the skin.)
- CONSUMERS DIGEST, October,
ALLERGIC TO EARRINGS!
For millions of people, pretty
earrings are a synonym for "ouch." When they wear clip-on
or pierced earrings, their ears begin to itch and burn. Within
a couple of hours, the pain, weeping skin and, in extreme cases,
bleeding and pus, force them to ruefully remove the earrings.
Their condition is called contact dermatitis. It is caused by
contact with material the victim is allergic to or has become
sensitized to. In this case, victims have become sensitized to
metal in the earrings. (A better known example of contact dermatitis
is a rash caused by poison ivy.)
For years after Connie Bradley
of Oakland pierced her ears, she experienced no difficulties.
Her allergy developed gradually. "I'd have constant itching
around my ears, sometimes the ear lobe would swell. I decided
I definitely wouldn't wear any more three-for-a-dollar earrings."
After her ears healed, she had her ears pierced again, and wore
expensive diamond and gold earrings. "It lasted about a
year ... before my ears started itching again. I felt bad I'd
bought all these earrings."
Her story is familiar to many
women. Studies of nickel plated earrings show that 10 to 15 percent
of females suffered contact dermatitis, according to Dr. Barry
Asman, an allergist at the Allergy and Asthma Care Center in
Monroeville. Physicians say sufferers are most likely to be allergic
to nickel, a common jewelry filler.
- The PITTSBURGH PRESS,
EARS MAY CAUSE SKIN RASH
Getting your ears pierced may
not be the completely harmless procedure you were always told
it was. According to new research from the John Hopkins School
of Hygiene and Public Health, ear piercing can cause allergic
contact dermatitis-also known as nickel rash.
The condition develops when small
amounts of nickel from the metal pin that preserves a newly pierced
hole are carried into the body through the bloodstream as the
wound heals. As a result, many women then develop a rash whenever
they wear gold-plated and other nickel-based jewelry.
- GLAMOUR MAGAZINE, December,